Today’s finally the day! Got your ticket? If not, be sure to tune into the live streaming on Yahoo! Style at 7pm!
Til next time!
- When and why did you decide to come to FIT to study Fashion Design?
When you are given the opportunity to choose in which country and which school you want to study, I knew I would try to enroll in one of the best schools in for design there is. After getting accepted to several leading schools for design including FIT, I know that was the right place for me to learn and to grow as a designer.
- Why did you choose to study Intimate Apparel over all the other specializations?
When the day came to choose a specialization I just know that Intimate Apparel was what I wanted to do, something inside me just was attracted to this world of never ending lace, fitted garments and crystals as if it part of fairy tale story. Each garment has it own story and you are the writer of that story.
- What was your inspiration for your senior collection?
My inspiration for the senior collection was “dark side of the moon” which means that nothing is as it seems. There is other ways to look at things that seem obvious at first glance but actually have way more in them when you take the time and look closely.
- What was the most challenging part of creating a collection this semester for you?
When working on my senior collection it felt as if three month were actually just one very long day. I was breathing, eating, and sleeping this collection. When I wasn’t working on it I was thinking of it. I think that the most challenging thing for me was to give myself a break from working on it. I wanted every small detail to be perfect and until it was I haven’t stopped working on it.
- What part of the design process do you enjoy most? I think now when I can look back at it and think clearly on the process I have to say that I enjoy everything about it. To see your idea come into a sketch and from that taking pieces of fabric and play with them until you get a full drape and then sewing everything to a garment. It feels as if in every garment in this collection I can see parts of me that make my collection unique and more personal.
- Any words of wisdom that you’ve learned in your years at FIT/What would you say to someone who wants to go to FIT in the future?
I feel that the most important thing is that you have to know how to mange you time. That is a skill helped me before coming to FIT in more than one way. Other then that if you are a student in FIT its means that you have something in you that make you shine. Believe in yourself and stick to your inner self but listen to what other are saying it help to hear another point of view and to learn something from others
- Where do you do most of your work?
All the guards at FIT knew me by name and stopped asking me which class I need to open. That meansC714 was my home. Thats all I have to say. From morning until it close I was there. Other students in other semesters new better then taking my spot in this room.
1. Hometown: Miami, Florida
2. When and why did you decide to come to FIT to study Fashion Design? I decided to come to FIT when I was in my second year of my business major at Broward College, I took a fashion design non credit Continuing Education course there, where I met my fashion mentor who was also my professor. She was a graduate from FIT and saw the passion and niche I had for Design. So she help me convinced my parents to allow me to attend FIT and that is how I heard about FIT. So I applied and once I got accepted my parents were sold on the idea.
3. Why did you choose to study Intimate Apparel over all the other specializations? I chose Intimate Apparel as my specialization because I feel it broadens my design capabilities and pushes my mind to think more creatively. I also want to learn and master how to create a contoured garment with a perfect fit. I feel like if you can create a form fitting garment or a perfect fit bra then you can create anything for the woman’s body because your understand the concept of how she should look on the inside. Also I’m all about making a women feel beautiful and sexy starting from the inside out. You can’t make a women buy your clothes if she doesn’t feel confident in them and in order for that to happen she must feel confident in her lingerie/bra/panties first. That’s where I come to assist.
4. What was your inspiration for your senior collection? My inspiration for my senior collection was flowers blooming. I chose that inspiration because I think the beauty of a blossomed flower is just as beautiful as a woman who has found herself and blossoms into her confidence and in my mind as she puts on my garment you I can visually see the transformation. I wanted my garments to look like an hourglass vas and she is becomes flower.
5. Any words of wisdom that you’ve learned in your years at FIT/What would you say to someone who wants to go to FIT in the future? For those of you who are interested in going to FIT, my advice to you is to just be ready to work hard and never give up on your dreams. No matter how hard the situation may get or feel just keep on pressing forward and make little goals for yourself each time you accomplish something, so you don’t get discouraged because this school can be a lot most time and you need to almost trick you mind into remembered why you’re there in the first place. Good luck , Stay focus and keep God first in anything you do. At least that’s what helped me throughout this refining process of my capabilities in this business is my faith.
You can find Natasha on LinkedIn and her Intimate Apparel Instagram: @conceptionbynatasha
It’s finally here! Do you have your tickets?